Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 11: Maple Cookies-Failure is not an Option

Fail
A little better
Yesterday afternoon I sat down at the computer to find a cookie to make. I had the maple on my mind and my mind on the maple. I found this little number at AllRecipes.com. It caught my eye immediatley when I read in the description "my husband loves these, he says they taste like maple bars" I was sold! See my own husband is not real big on sweets. I seriously have to ask him to please try a cookie! While I could eat nothing but dessert 24/7, he is one of those annoying people who can pass without a second thought. That being said...I happen to know he loves maple bars.
After reading the recipe I noticed there were some user comments below from what sounded like experienced bakers to me. All comments said they had trouble with the recipe and each modified it one way or another. I took this advice and, being an experienced baker myself (ahem) modified it further. Well it turns out I am not as experienced as I thought. The cookies spead into crispy buttery little maple crackers.
Determined to make my husband a maple cookie I could be proud of, I let the kids scrape what they could off of the parchment paper and I started again.
This time I used the recipe for chocolate chip  cookies and just decreased the vanilla and added 2 tsp of maple flavoring. For the icing I just kind of eyeballed it all until I got the consistency I wanted. I thought they were a little drab looking so I tossed some pecans in brown sugar and sprinkled it over the icing.

 Not one of my all time favorites but they taste really good. Although I do still have quite a bit of dough left in the freezer so I am hoping they will bake a little better after the dough has been frozen.

3 comments:

  1. These are delicious. Very much like a maple bar but in cookie form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maple cookies are my all time favorite. My mother in law makes an AWESOME maple cookies, but only at Christmas time (blessing and a curse!). These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete