Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 14: English Toffee Bars with Chocolate

You want to cut these before the chocolate sets but eat after the chocolate is firm
Did you know there is a website called Christmas-cookies.com?? Where I have been? They have 565 christmas cookie recipes!! To be fair, not all are cookies, some are candies and various treats. So that's where today's cookie comes from. I read this recipe four times before I decided to try it. And at first I think I only chose it out of spite. It is such a simple little recipe I could not fathom how this is supposed to be English Toffee. Then again, I'm not really sure what English Toffee is, so I decided to try them. The user comments all say the recipe is easy, however I didn't really like "Sweetshop" in New York who stated a "dodo couldn't mess these up". Really? Who is "Sweetshop in New York" to judge? Is that a challenge? And could "Sweetshop in New York" really be Martha Stewart?
Aaaaanway...I opted to not add the pecans and instead topped this with chocolate. In the last 5 minutes of baking just sprinkle a bag of chocolate chips over the top and return to the oven. When you remove the pan, spread the chips evenly over the pan with the back of a spoon. If you are adding the chocolate I think you can skip brushing the top with egg white. I didn't dare skip this step though as I did not want to be a "dodo". I also considered skipping the cinnamon and adding vanilla, but again, the damn dodo comment popped up and I thought best to stick to the original recipe as much as possible. In a moment of rebellion, I decided to bake these in an 11" tart pan instead of a 10"X15" pan! HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment