Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 6: Russian Teacakes

   I have always loved to make cookies. When I was little I used every ingredient in the house to make some of the worst cookies (I'm not sure you could even call them that) ever tasted. As I got a little older I started to understand why you needed to follow recipes when baking. We never had a lot of food in the house so I would search my moms cookbooks for anything I could make with what we had. That's when the Russian Teacake came into my life. I found it in one of my Great Grandma's old cookbooks and make them over and over until the page fell out of the book. As an adult I searched to find the recipe again and finally found it a few years ago, only now I bake them about once a year instead of once a week. So simple, so good. They are often mistaken for Mexican Wedding Cakes but they taste and are made differently.
I like to coat them in powdered sugar while they are still warm, it makes almost a frosting around the cookie.

1 comment:

  1. These are my very favorite cookies! My Grama made them every Christmas. We used to roll them in sugar while they are warm, then again after they cooled off.

    ReplyDelete