Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 15: Tic Tac Toe Cookies

I found the recipe for these Tic Tac Toe cookies right in my own refrigerator, staring me in the face for months. It comes from the back of a bottle of Heinz Ketchup, that's right...a cookie recipe from Heinz's ketchup. My son Steven eats everything with ketchup, my nephew Cameron had to have it at our Thanksgiving dinner...so for them, for my own curiosity, I had to give this recipe a try.
Basically this is a peanut butter cookie recipe. I imagined the good people in the marketing department at Heinz sat around one day and discussed ways to sell more ketchup. Someone mentions cookies as a joke, but then for lack of a better idea, they run with it. Since there is no way possible anyone can come up with a good cookie recipe with ketchup in it, the team, now weary and wanting to go home for the day, decides to just add ketchup to a peanut butter cookie recipe. Peanut Butter cookies: Good. Ketchup: Good. Peanut Butter cookies made with ketchup???
After mixing the dough, my husband and I both stared and sniffed at it, then nervously tasted it. He said, "Are we going to bake it or dip french fries in it?" I said, bake it. He said "oh, because it tastes like buffalo a@#". My oldest son Patrick wouldn't even taste the dough, he sniffed it and said it smelled "disgusting".
The dough also seemed way to wet and sticky to bake. the recipe says to press each cookie with the back of a fork in a cross pattern. I suggest spraying your fork with cooking spray, then dipping in flour before trying to press the fork onto the cookie. Better yet-don't make them at all.
If you have been following this blog, I hope you have found some cookies you would like to make, or have even already made. This time I took a bullet for you...do not make this cookie.

at least they look good
 My son, the ketchup lover, after tasting these said, "that was a mean trick by Heinz".
HOWEVER.....
I did make a back up cookie, well sort of. You know those outrageously delicious Magic Cookie Bars on the back of the condensed milk cans??? The ooey gooey chocolatey ones? Yeah those!! My grandma always called them "Hello Dollies", I'm calling these "How You Doin'?Dollies"! I took some of my chocolate chip cookie dough made with pecans and pressed it into a lightly greased 10X10 square cake pan. Top it with sweetened coconut, more pecans and then more chocolate chips. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the pan and bake a t 350 for about 30 minutes. YUM!!!

4 comments:

  1. I was being kind when I said these tasted like buffalo butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saving me the time of making these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, thanks for doing this experiment. Just noticed the recip myself today, and it shocked and disgusted me at first, but then I got to thinking... What if? Wierder stuff goes into the best recipes... And ingredients can surprise you...

    Well, after reading your post, I'm going to say no, thank you, I'll just stick to my initial gut instinct and take your word that these cookies are gross. I mean, pb and ketchup? Why on earth would a person combine the two in a cookie? Chili, maybe, sloppy Joe, OK fine, but cookies? The recipe's author is a little too creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 years later and the nasty taste is still in my mouth!! What were you thinking Heinz!!!

      Delete