Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 16: These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

I have been in love with butter since I can remember. I have been in love with Cayucos, Ca since I was 16. I have been in love with my husband since I was 18. I have been in love with Imbibe-Wine and Spirits since last year. All of these things came together a few weeks ago...sort of. While casually enjoying a glass of wine with the aforementioned husband at the aforementioned Imbibe, I discovered these amazing little cookies sitting right on the counter. The box was adorable (I am a sucker for packaging-a marketing professionals dream). The cookies were made by a little cookie company called The Brown Butter Cookie Company in Cayucos. SOLD! Not the kind of cookies you look at and drool, (maybe that's why the box is cute), just kind of average looking, certainly not average tasting.
 Let's recap: butter; cookies from Cayucos; wine at Imbibe; my husband. The only way that day could have been better... if we had been at Imbibe in Cayucos and I was 15 pounds thinner.
Knowing there was no chance the magical bakers who created this little cookie-wonder would be posting the recipe on the Internet, I did not get my hopes up too high. Then along came The Yummy Mummy, with a recipe right there for all to see. My plan was to get these made before the Chicago Bears play today and eat them all while I watched the game. Not Imbibe nor Cayucos, but Bears football-my husband-brown butter cookies, still three of my favorite things.
When I read the line in the recipe that says "be careful not to burn the butter or you will have to start over" I thought "oh crap, I better make sure I have lots of butter". This is one of those recipes you have to follow to the letter and pay attention to every single step...not usually my style.
Be really careful with the cooking time, 15 minutes proved to be a little too long. When baked too long they become very hard. Also, the salt was a little tricky. Just sprinkling the salt over the cookie didn't seem to be enough. I sprayed the bottom of a juice glass with a little Pam then dipped it in the salt then ever so lightly on to the good-this add too much salt.
If you have the means, I highly recommend driving to Cayucos and buying a gross of these.
*****BONUS*****
I created this variation my self:  Lemon-Sage Brown Butter Cookies

Add about 10 fresh sage leaves to the butter as it is browning. Remove leaves after the butter has browned.
Finish as recipe states then top with a glaze of butter, confectioners' sugar, milk and lemon emulsion.

Finally, if you are wondering what makes my husband so special, he went to Fresh and Easy at 9am to buy me sea salt!!

1 comment:

  1. The bourbon ones are TO DIE FOR! They add bourbon, clove and paprika (gives it extra "smoky"ness) ... they are my faves!

    ReplyDelete