Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 19: Fudge Fiasco into Fudge Fantastic

Soooooooo...yesterday I sang the praises of making Fantasy Fudge with Jumbo Marshmallows instead of marshmallow cream. Let me just tell you, there is a reason the recipe says to use the cream instead of the marshmallows. Yeah, my fudge did not set. It tastes really good, but it is not "fudge". Rather than cry over runny fudge, I decided to find a way to use it. and what goes better with chocolatey fudge than peanut butter. Lo and behold I think I have finally created my very own cookie recipe (that actually tastes good). This is the day I have been waiting and "practicing" for since I was 8 years old. And what is this cookie marvel you ask?******Drumroll******
Peanut Butter Shortbread Fudge Sandwich Cookies
Okay okay, I don't really have a great name for them yet but I will take suggestions.
The recipe:
  • 1 8X8 pan of ruined fudge (just kidding-read yesterday's post to see how I made the fudge and let it sit overnight
  • if you do not happen to have any ruined fudge on hand, I think a chocolate frosting might work very well
  • 1/2 c peanut butter (chunky or smooth-which ever you prefer)
  • 1/2 c butter
  • 1 c superfine sugar
  • 1-1/2 c flour
  • 1 t baking soda
Beat peanut butter, butter  and sugar until light and fluffy; should resemble frosting. In smaller bowl combine flour and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into butter and sugar mixture. Dough will be crumbly. Chill dough covered for at least an hour. Preheat oven to 275.
With your hands press 1/4 of the dough into a ball then gently roll between wax paper to just less than 1/4 inch thick. Cut with a round cookie cutter - I found the little cocktail glasses we always bring home from Vegas to be the perfect size. Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake about 12-15 minutes. Cool on pans for about 2 minutes then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
hoping the next batch isn't so gooey
Spread fudge onto the bottom of cookie and top with another. Depending on how bad your fudge turned out you may not want to spread it to the edge of the cook as it will run down the sides after you place the top cookie over it.

1 comment: