Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 27: Chocolate Cream Cheese Peppermint Pinwheels

There is a strange phenomenon going on with me right now. Instead of simply being satisfied with baking and decorating cookies, I now feel the need to "invent" cookies. This can't be good and needs to be squashed...after I make my idea for tomorrow's cookie of course.
The idea for this cookie came from Pillsbury. Their version however called for two rolls of their refrigerated cookie dough :scoff: For my version I choose the Cream Cheese Molding Dough I used to make the pretzel cookie. This dough is now my favorite, it does not spread and is so easy to work with, oh and it tastes great! The only problem here is the not spreading part, the need to spread a little.
My son gave these the green light. I wished I had used a different cookie recipe.

So for the recipe, use any sugar cookie dough you like.
Divide the batter in half before adding the flour.
Add 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract to half of the batter.
Split the amount of flour needed into two bowls. In one bowl add about 2/3 cup cocoa powder.
The other half of the flour goes into the now peppermint flavored batter, stir until mixed.
Add the unflavored half of batter to the cocoa and flour mixture; stir until mixed.
Roll each dough on a floured surface into a rectangle.
Brush the top of the peppermint dough lightly with water ( I did not and wished I had).
Top with the chocolate rectangle.
Roll the layered dough lengthwise, snugly, wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour.
When ready slice the dough about 3/4" thick. I have no room in my life for skinny cookies!
Place slices on baking sheet lined with parchment and bake at 350 for about 13 min.
Remove and top each cookie with white chocolate chips (maybe 3). I used Wilton Candy Melts and just one.
Back into the oven for about 2 minutes.
Remove and top with a little crushed candy cane. Cool on wire racks.
Bonus!! Drizzle the tops with melted chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment