Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 34: WTH Paula Deen???!!!

It must be me right? Something is wrong with me. I mean, it can't always be Martha's fault, or in today's case Paula Deen's! Maybe I need to start actually watching these shows, before I try their recipes. Maybe there is some secret step you only learn about by watching the show.
Let's back up so I can explain my rage. In an earlier post I mentioned that I was not exactly sure what English Toffee was. But last night, at the Norris Middle School staff Holiday Get Together (they are teachers, I think they have to call it that), someone brought English Toffee. As soon as I popped one in my mouth I remembered what it was and that I loved it. Everyone makes it and everyone makes it good. Everyone that is except me.
As I read Paula's recipe for English Toffee I chuckled to myself a little as I used her thick southern accent while reading it to myself. Phrases like" butter a cookie sheet"-what size cookie sheet Paula? A jelly roll pan, maybe? "top with chocolate bars"-what kind of chocolate bars Paula? Hershey's, dark, semi-sweet, Butterfinger? Oh well, I followed her directions, temped the candy mixture but before it could even reach 300 degrees it became "sandy". Why??? Where did I go wrong ???Are you there Paula?? Help! The taste is there, but I don't think this is to be eaten with a spoon. Grrrrrr.......
This is however a good note for next year, I will stick with what I know. Lemon Bars are coming soon, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment