Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 30: Coconut Macaroons and Insomnia

Christmas and Insomnia. For every mother, these are two words that go together like Eggnog and Brandy, like Reindeer and Carrots...you get my drift. Whether it is lying awake all night planning escape routes for when the Christmas tree catches fire or that recurring nightmare we all have. You know, the one where it is Christmas morning and you forgot to buy gifts. If we all band together I'd bet we could find more than a few psychoanalysts to declare this an actual "syndrome". Then we could all take off work from November to February and collect unemployment benefits. Maybe not.
For me last night, it was four boxes of unpacked and undisplayed decorations calling from my living room. You would be amazed at how creative you can be at 3am.
Why yes, I did cut all of those paper snowflakes by hand, and there are more that are not even up yet. I couldn't stop!
Eventually I put the scissors down and moved onto today's cookie.
Coconut Macaroons
3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
optional: chocolate chips and/or nuts
Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 for 10 minutes.
Seriously, that's it. The recipe was right there on the back of the coconut bag. Nothing seemed right about it, but I figured if they didn't work, I would at least have time to do a different cookie. But they worked...sort of...I think. I mean, they taste okay. Sort of like the topping for magic bars since essentially that is what they are.
You will notice mine are topped with chocolate ganache as I opted out of the chocolate chips, didn't sound right to me. Instead I topped them with some left over chocolate ganache I had. Just melted it down a little first. Doesn't everyone have chocolate ganche hanging out in their fridge? I bet Martha does...

No comments:

Post a Comment