Thursday, December 8, 2011

More Christmas Cookies! Hooray! And a few more tips


Decorating cakes and cookies is my favorite part of baking. But before I can even begin to think about decorating cookies for any occasion, I need inspiration. I look at dozens of pictures of decorated cookies just to get ideas and see things I never even thought to do. Here are some of the cookies I have made so far and a few more tips for decorating cookies.





our dogs, of course
in no particular order...
1. If your plan is to bond with your children over holiday baking, be realistic. Most kids, like me, could really care less about the whole baking process. Do them and yourself a huge favor and have the cookies made and ready . Cover your entire house in plastic.
2. Keep a bowl of hot water in your sink for pastry dips, small bowl, spoons, etc. Trust me on this one, just do it.
3. Think outside of the Snowman. Any cookie cutter or shape can be a Christmas cookie. Slap some green and red in there somewhere and voila!
4. Small dots and sanding sugar (colored sugars too) can cover up almost any mistake. Big mistakes, add a lot of candy.
5. Go for a cookie and icing that actually taste good. The color flow I mentioned in a previous post...not so much. Otherwise you might as well be using salt dough and paint.
6. When rolling out your dough don't be afraid of thickness. The are supposed to be Christmas Cookies, not Christmas Crackers.
7. Go 3D! My mom used to push cookie dough through a garlic press and make "hair" for the gingerbread people.
8. Sometimes less is more. I know, I know, you are on a roll and having fun and have lots of great ideas. But you have to know when to put the cookie down and say "done".
9. See above...there is a fine line between polka dots and diseased, know when to say when.


No comments:

Post a Comment